Reprieving the Trees

February 11, 2011

Good news. The government has been forced into a humiliating climbdown over the sell off of Britain’s forests. Apparently, the environment secretary Caroline Spelman has frozen the sale of 15 percent of the Forestry Commission’s estates, a decision that she claims had “nothing to do with the recent public storm over a medium-term plan to offload the remaining 85 per cent of the forest to timber companies and charities.” Yet with over 500,000 people signing a petition in recent weeks to oppose her plans, such comments ring hollow.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: